Why Art Fairs?
For the last ten years, I have been attending art fairs in many of the cities that I have visited during my travels and in New York City, about 35 minutes from where I live in New Jersey. I have listed some of the most popular art fairs both in the USA and internationally in case you are interested and are planning to visit these cities this coming year When I first posted this story in 2020 COVID 19 forced the cancellation of all of them. It is still not clear whether art fairs will take place in 2021. Many of the sites reference the planning of their respective art shows for 2021 but with some caution. The dates of the art fairs may also change from their original month of exhibiting.
Here is my take as to why I wholeheartedly recommend attending art fairs whether you are a collector or an art enthusiast.
1. Generally, Art fairs are fun, allowing you to be in a stimulating creative environment that is inspiring.
2. These shows have galleries from all over the world, all in one central location for you to enjoy
3. Exposing you to new artistic trends and designs in the Art World that are continuously changing.
4. Lots of cool Art and exciting people doing uniquely innovative, sometimes quirky things.
5. Lots of fashionistas to watch, sometimes they are the show (my camera’s favorite part of the show).
6. Lots of selfies to take with your favorite art piece
7. The opportunity to buy Art, especially if you like it and it doesn’t set you back six months.
My photos are of many of these visits and the fashionistas that come to them, including my being present during the outrages “eating of the duct-taped banana” at the 2019 Art Basel that got way too much international publicity. Click on the pic to see them all (yes, that is me working my camera; no that is not a real child). If you are interested in the Banana story click below:
This is not an exhaustive list of all art fairs so feel free to comment on other fairs that I have missed. On an annual basis, I will include the list for the entire calendar year (once COVID is behind us).
April 2021 Art Fairs
May 2021 Art Fairs
- Frieze Art Fair New York (New York, NY)
- TEFAF New York Spring (New York, NY)
- Photo London (London)
- Denver Fine Art Fair (Denver, CO)
June 2021 Art Fairs
July 2021 Art Fairs
September 2021 Art Fairs
- The Other Art Fair (Santa Monica, CA)
- EXPO CHGO (Chicago, IL)
- NY Art Book Fair (New York, NY)
- PHOTOFAIRS Shanghai (Shanghai, China)
- Affordable Art Fair / New York Fall (New York)
October 2021 Art Fairs
- Dallas Art Fair (Dallas, TX)
- Jersey City Art and Studio Tour
- Newark Arts Festival
- Frieze Masters (London, England)
- Texas Contemporary (Houston, TX)
- Philadelphia Fine Art Fair (Philadelphia, PA)
- FIAC Paris (Paris)
- Art Toronto (Toronto, Canada)
November 2021 Art Fairs
- SOFA Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- TEFAF New York Fall (New York)
- The AADLA Fine Art & Antiques Show (New York)
- The Other Art Fair (Brooklyn, NY)
December 2021 Art Fairs
- Miami River Art Fair (Miami, FL)
- Art Miami (Miami, FL)
- CONTEXT Art Miami (Miami, FL)
- Scope Miami Beach (Miami Beach, FL)
- UNTITLED, Miami Beach (Miami Beach, FL)
- Aqua Art Miami (Miami Beach, FL)
- Pulse Art Fair (Miami Beach, FL)
- Art Now Fair (Miami Beach, FL)