• 1 (1/4-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons loose yeast
• 1/4 cup warm water
• 1/4 cup dried figs, cut into strips, plus more for garnish
• 1/4 cup candied orange peel, cut into strips, plus more for garnish
• 1/4 cup candied lemon peel, cut into strips, plus more for garnish
• 1/4 cup chopped candied cherries, plus more whole for garnish
• 2 tablespoons light rum
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
• 3 large eggs, divided (but not separated)
In a small bowl, combine the yeast and warm water; stir to blend. Let stand until the mixture foams, about 5 to 10 minutes.
In another small bowl, put all the candied fruit and drizzle with the rum. Let stand for 15 minutes to 1 hour to soak up the flavor.
In a small pot, warm the milk over medium heat. Add the sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
In a large bowl, mix 3 1/2 cups flour, 2 eggs, yeast mixture, milk mixture, and the rum-soaked candied fruits, mixing very well until the dough gathers into a ball. If the dough is too wet, add additional flour, a little at a time, to form a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it’s smooth and elastic about 5 minutes. Put the ball of dough back into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and set aside in a warm spot to rise for 1 hour.
Remove the dough from the bowl and knead on a lightly floured surface. Using your palms, roll the dough into a long rope. Shape the rope into a circle, sealing the ends together. Insert a little doll or coin into the bread from the bottom, if desired (make sure you tell people it’s in there so no one chokes). Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Carefully transfer the dough ring to the prepared baking pan.
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon of water to make an egg wash, and brush the top of the bread. Decoratively garnish the top of the bread with more candied fruit and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the cake is golden.
Cool on a wire rack before slicing.